Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Youth Conference 2017

Have I mentioned how much I love my current calling? Once again I got to go do some fun stuff with the youth. Back in July we had Youth Conference and our ward did a ropes course in Provo. The first day we did canoeing. That was fun. Everyone had 3 people in a canoe and the person in the front was blindfolded, the person in the back wasn't allowed to speak and the person in the middle had to help guide everyone, but wasn't rowing. It was a little difficult to get down the river and a little dangerous at times because there were low hanging trees all along the sides so if my guide (a young woman named Rachel) didn't tell me to duck, I would get smacked in the face by a tree because the person in the back of our boat (another leader named Ben) couldn't speak. Rachel wasn't the most attentive guide so I got smacked a few times and other times, luckily some people in the other boats would tell me to duck.

That night we went to our campsite, set up our tents, ate dinner, had a little devotional and then got ready for bed. I was in a tent with the two other female leaders that stayed the night and we stayed up kinda late talking. Once we decided to go to sleep, the squawking started. At first we didn't know if a bird was dying or mating, but it was the loudest, most annoying sound. Unfortunately for us, this sound happened every 30 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG! The squawking would last for about 15 minutes at a time, we'd get about a 30 minute break and then it would start up again. So I got to sleep for only 30 minute intervals because I would wake up every time that stupid thing started squawking again. Finally at 5am I decided I'd had enough and I went and slept for about 2 hours in my car where the squawking was muffled enough that I could sleep.

That morning we made breakfast and then headed back over to do the ropes course. I love this kind of thing because I'm not afraid of heights; in fact I like heights. But there were a lot of people that were afraid of some of the stuff we were doing. Danielle and Jr. were there too and they did everything without fear so I was proud of them for that. We got split into groups and they were both in the other group so I would run over to where they were every now and then so I could get pictures of them doing the course.

Danielle on the giant swing.

Me climbing up to the zip line.

Me going down the zip line.

Jr. on the giant swing.

Danielle going down the zip line.

Me doing a flip on the giant swing.

Danielle about to jump off that platform and hit that red ball.

Me jumping to hit the red ball.
Youth conference was a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

So fun! Yes being a youth leader is a blast! And that's great you got to go with the older two kids. The ropes course is a blast, I kind of wish we had one in our back yard. I just got released as the camp director last week and was called as the Laurel Adviser! Hooray for youth leader callings!