Yesterday my summer came to an end and I couldn't be happier about it. Damon started 1st grade! Although I was more then ready for the summer to be over, it is always a little difficult to wrap my brain around the fact that my kids are going back to school. And the fact that Damon is old enough to be in 1st grade is so crazy! How is time flying by so quickly?!
We spent some time the night before getting his backpack ready, setting out his uniform and making his first school lunch. He has been dying to eat lunch at school since he found out that he didn't get to in kindergarten. I asked him if he was nervous about going to first grade and he just looked at me confused and said, "Nervous is when you are doing math and you don't know the answer." Ok, so not nervous then. Just excited.
I am in a carpool with 2 other moms and I told them they didn't need to pick Damon up for school on the first day because I would be bringing him. I asked if they were doing the same for their kids and they both said no because their kids are old enough. (Their kids are in 2nd and 5th grades.) I told them that maybe I would let Damon be a big boy next year....maybe. But I don't think I will because next year Monson will be starting kindergarten so I'll be bringing him to school so I'll drop both him and Damon off. I'll probably do it until he doesn't want me to anymore. And then I'll cry.
Here is a comparison of Damon on his first day of kindergarten and his first day of 1st grade:
Here's some info about Damon as of today:
Favorite color: Green (I don't see that changing ever. It's been green since he was very little.)
What he wants to be when he grows up: "Work with Dad."
Favorite super hero: Garlic Spiderman (apparently that is the bad Spiderman. He also loves Kylo Ren and Darth Vader...all bad guys.)
Height: 4 ft. 3 in.
Weight: 57 lbs.
Shoe Size 1
Last year at this time:
Height: 4 ft.
Weight: 48 lbs.
He grew 3 inches in the last year and put on 9 lbs.!
It was kinda weird not having Damon around all day long. I was running errands all morning so it was nice having one less kid. The person it affected the most was Monson. He kept asking, "When is Damon getting home?" ALL. DAY. LONG.
Monson: When is Damon getting home?
Me: At 3:30
Monson: But when is 3:30?
Me: In 2 more hours.
Monson: But when is 2 hours?!
Me: 3:30!
Monson missed his brother so much! They play together constantly so it was hard for Monson to not have Damon around.
When Damon got home I said, "How was your first day of 1st grade?!" He said, "I got 3 recesses!!!"
The next best thing that happens in my life is on Tuesday when both Monson AND Sophie start preschool! I will have 2 hours, twice a week with no kids!!! What will I do? The possibilities are endless.
After we brought Damon to school we went to preschool to meet Monson and Sophie's teachers. We saw Monson's teacher from last year while we were there. She was very excited to see him and while hugging him she said to me, "He was my favorite!"
I have a lot of blogging to catch up on from what we did during the summer and I'm hoping to use my kid-free mornings to be able to get all caught up quickly....or else nap....we'll see.






1 comment:
Okay, I don't like to admit it but we are old! Our kids are big now. Remember when Damon was born and Lani was almost two? It seems so far away now. Sad. But I am also looking forward to having some hours to myself to rejuvenate my old, tired body!
Post a Comment