Saturday, September 1, 2018

First Days of School 2018

Words cannot express how ready I was for school to start. Summers are exhausting for me. I try to make them fun for my kids, which results in exhaustion for me, especially since I have 6 kids for most of the summer. We had swimming lessons, 3 family reunions, soccer camp, sports camp, girls camp, a day at Lagoon, piano lessons, a company party, youth conference, and various other daily activities. We have a lot of fun, but by August I am ready for the structure and schedule that school brings.

Damon was the first to go back. He started 2nd grade two weeks ago Thursday. He was really excited to go back to school because he loves school and mostly loves playing soccer with anyone he can find who is willing during recess.

I'm not good at editing photos, but here's a look at Damon the past 3 years:

It is crazy how quickly they change! I still think of him as being that little kindergartener.

Sophie started her second year of preschool on Monday. We went to her school open house the week before and she got herself all dressed and ready to go for that.
She never leaves the house without her purse (full of makeup) and a baby, just like mommy. And all pink of course.


When it was time to go to school on Monday she was so excited to go...until we got there. I brought her in and she cried and cried and I eventually just had to leave. When I picked her up 2 1/2 hours later she was happy and said she had a great first day.


Last year and this year:

Monson was the last to start. Kindergarten starts a week later than the rest of the school so that they can do assessments. At Monson's assessment his teacher told me that Monson was smart enough to test out of kindergarten if I wanted him to. That is a huge decision that I'm going to have to spend some time thinking about. The school said that it's best if he goes to a couple weeks of kindergarten so we can see how he does and we can do the test after that if we want to. I'm not sure if I want to yet.

Monson is so excited to be in kindergarten and at the same school as his big brother. They have seen each other a couple times during recess and they love that.

I drove carpool on Monson's (and Damon's) first day of school. Last year I went into the school with Damon for his first day, but this year I figured Damon could show Monson where to go and what to do so I just dropped them off. When they were getting out of the car Damon said, "Monson, I'll show you where to go." Monson said back, "Damon, I already know. You don't have to show me."


Here's Monson last year and this year.

I know Monson is having a lot of fun in kindergarten because after I pick him up, this is what usually happens:


Since it took me so long to get this post up, I've had a few kid-free days. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do carpool for the boys and 3 other kids. I bring everyone to school at 8am. Sophie and I come home and I finish getting her ready and bring her to school at 9am. At 11:15am I go pick up Monson, then we pick up Sophie. At 3:30pm Damon gets dropped off at home from someone else in our carpool group. It's a pretty good schedule. On Tuesday and Thursday I get some good alone time with Sophie and three days a week, I have 2 hours alone. I have a ton of stuff to catch up on (like blogging) so I should be using my time for that, but for the past week and a half I've been using my free time to rest. I did exercise one day and get my lashes done yesterday, but the other days, all I want to do is rest. I'm sure I'll be more productive soon, but my body and mind are tired right now so I'm letting myself have some me-time.

Here are some stats:

Damon
Height:  4 ft. 6 in.           Last Year: 4 ft. 3 in.
Weight:  62 lbs.              Last Year:  57 lbs.
Shoe Size: 2                    Last Year: 1
Favorite color: Red (I did not see that coming because it's been green his whole life)
Favorite Superhero: Spiderman
Favorite Food: Burritos
Favorite Friend: Dano (his cousin)
Favorite Thing To Do: Play Super Smash Brothers and Classic Smash Bros.
Favorite thing to learn in school: Math
Favorite Book: Lego Star Wars
Favorite Toy: Pikachu Plushie
Favorite game: Chess and Checkers
What do you want to be when you grow up: a teacher and Authority Heating and Cooling

Monson
Height:  3 ft. 11 1/2 in.   Last Year: 3 ft. 8 in.
Weight:  50 lbs.              Last Year:  44 lbs.
Shoe Size:  1                   Last Year: 10
(I gave him a size 12 shoe to wear on his first day of school but when I picked him up his teacher told me that his shoes started hurting him and he took them off. So apparently he's a size 1.)
Favorite color: Teal (again, did not see that coming because his favorite color has been yellow forever)
Favorite Superhero: Iron Man (because he has an Iron Man costume)
Favorite food: Spaghetti
Favorite friend: Lily (our neighbor)
Favorite thing to do: play with friends
Favorite book: Biscuit Books (an easy reading book series we have)
Favorite toy: Paw Patrol plushies
Favorite game: Mario Baseball
What do you want to be when you grow up: a missionary

Sophie
Height:  3 ft. 4 in.           Last Year: 3 ft.
Weight:  36 lbs.              Last Year:  31 lbs.
Shoe Size: 9                    Last Year: 7
Favorite color: purple (sometimes she says pink)
Favorite Princess: Elsa
Favorite Movie: Elsa movie
Favorite Toy: Unicorn
Favorite Book: Mickey Mouse one
Favorite thing to do: Play animals
What do you want to be when you grow up: "Get some kids"

We don't ever get to be there for the older kids' first days of school, but Danielle did send me this picture:

Jr. is starting his sophomore year and Avery is starting 8th grade. Danielle's college doesn't start until September 16th so we have some time before we get a first day picture for her.

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

I feel you! Although I have more things to do when school starts it is so nice to just have a break, with some peace and quiet. Your kids really should not be this old already but I love the way Sophie poses for the camera. I don't think our schedules are at all similar but it would be fun to hang out sometime during our "me" times.