Saturday morning we went on a snorkeling excursion. I had vowed that I wasn't going to go on a boat or go snorkeling on this trip, but when we were booking our dolphin adventure, some friends and the CEO of Contractors were booking a snorkeling trip. He offered to pay for our excursion if we wanted to join them. It was snorkeling with sharks and Anthon wanted to go so we accepted. I took some motion sickness medication beforehand so that I wouldn't be miserable.
Every day of our trip it rained at least a little bit and this morning it was kind of cloudy and rainy. When it came time to get into the cold water, I knew that I did not need that in my life. So Anthon snorkeled and I hung out on the boat.
They had to swim kind of a long way to get to a fenced off area that had a few nurse sharks. It was windy, cold and rainy and not everyone made it all the way to the fence. Some had to turn around and come back. Anthon of course made it.
Me and my friend Laura had fun watching everyone from the boat.
The sun did come out after a little while and the day became more enjoyable. After snorkeling we boated over to a little area where a bunch of other boats had anchored.
The excursion was kind of geared towards partying so there was free booze and loud music. It wasn't our most fun snorkeling trip, but we had fun with our friends. After we got back I spent the rest of the day sleeping because the motion sickness medication knocked me out. I woke up in time for dinner and the show and then it was back to bed.
We had talked to our friends about renting a car and driving to Santo Domingo on Sunday, but it was a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there and we were told (by a local) that the local drivers were crazy. That scared our friends out of wanting to drive there, but Anthon and I were undeterred. We got a late start Sunday morning because we didn't decide that we were going to rent a car until around 10am. We reserved a car online, got a taxi to the place and were on the road around noon. There was another group from our hotel that drove there a couple days earlier so we knew there were going to be tolls along the way. We exchanged some money to take with us.
It took a full 2 1/2 hours to get there, but the traffic wasn't too bad. Our first stop was the temple. It was close, but there was a guy at the gate that let us in so we could walk around it. It is a beautiful temple.
Next we wanted to find anything historic. We didn't know much about the area, but we heard that there was Christopher Columbus things to see. We found out that he landed in the DR before he made his way to America. When we were driving we saw an old looking stone wall so we quickly parked. got out and looked around. We found Christopher Columbus' house, the first cathedral of the new world and some other cool old buildings.
We ate some local fries.
When it started to get dark we knew it was time to head back to the hotel. When we travel we love seeing local historical things so it was a fun day for us. We were so glad that we went!
Monday morning we packed our stuff, ate our last meal and drove our rental car to the airport.
This is what Utah looked like when we landed:
It was like blizzard. My step-dad picked us up from the airport and we had to drive really slowly on the freeway. We saw a few cars spin around and face the wrong direction on the way. We went from beautiful 80 degree weather to a blizzard. If it weren't for our kids we would have jumped on another plane back to somewhere warm.
Whenever we video messaged our kids while we were away, they always talked about what we were going to bring them back from our trip. Monson was adamant that we bring him back some Kinder Eggs because we did that when we went to Norway last year. We found some at the airport and also brought back a baseball for Damon, a sling shot for Monson and a little purse with a puppy in it for Sophie.
I love our trips, but it is always nice to come home.
















1 comment:
I love all the historic places and buildings you are able to find when you travel and the temple is so pretty and unique looking. Yes, I remember that storm, what a terrible day to come back on but so glad you had time away together!
Post a Comment