Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Honda Girl

The first car I picked out and bought myself was a 1997 Honda Civic.  I bought it in 1999 and I was so happy to have a car that was only 2 years old.  It was exactly what I wanted.  It was black with gray interior, automatic, keyless entry, (which was a big deal back then) six CD changer and power everything (again, a big deal back then, but standard now.)

I drove that car for 11 years.  It didn't bother me that it was 13 years old by then because I loved that car.  But then we had Damon and one kid made four kids for us so we had to buy a bigger car.  I didn't want to buy a van when I only had one full-time kid so we looked at SUVs.  After checking pretty much all of them out, I was happy when we decided on the Honda Pilot.  I love Honda.  Great gas mileage, reliable, cute cars.  We found a good deal on a 2007 Pilot that was exactly what I wanted.  Dark gray exterior, gray interior, leather seats, keyless entry, power everything and we added a DVD player for the kids.  Love it.

Since we have been getting the older kids more often, Anthon has been taking the Pilot every single week to go get them, leaving me with no car on those days.  The Pilot doesn't get as good of gas mileage as a little car and since we have to drive an hour to get the kids, we have been wanting a car that gets better gas mileage.  So we decided it was time to get a commuter car.

I really wanted another Civic because they get great gas mileage and are really reliable and we typically keep a car until it's almost dead.  But because of those reasons, Hondas are a little bit more pricey than some other brands and I was afraid we wouldn't find one in our price range.  I started checking KSL classifieds, looking for a good deal.  Since Anthon would be the one driving it most often, I asked him what kind of car he wanted.  He said he wanted a Mercedes.  I said no.  Then he said he wanted a BMW.  I said no.  If he couldn't have either of those, then he didn't know what he wanted.  So I just looked for ones that I thought would be good.  On Monday I found a good deal on a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid.  We had talked about getting a hybrid car, but weren't sure if they were worth the money.  This one, however, was less expensive than a regular Civic of the same year so we decided to check it out. 

We are now the proud owners of this cute little Civic Hybrid.

Mar 06 2013 005

We got a great deal and it gets 40-45 mpg so we will save quite a bit of money in gas compared to the 21 mpg of the pilot.  I also found out that we can drive in the carpool lane anytime we want with this thing!

All 3 of the cars that I have picked out in my life have all been Hondas.  I like Honda.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans...you can't go wrong with them. Glad you found a car that will work well for the commuting. It looks great!