Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mecham Family Reunion

Over Pioneer Day weekend we had the Mecham Family reunion.  Every year one of Anthon's siblings plans a reunion for the family.  We have been to Idaho, Manti, Escalante, Moab, Zions and other locations.  They are usually in July and since I used to be an accountant and quarter-end was in July, I have missed most of the reunions.  But now that I am a stay-at-home mom, I get to do anything I want!
This year Anthon's older sister Rachel planned it.  She lives in Georgia so she and her family fly out for the reunion every year.  She planned a fun-filled Pioneer weekend full of touristy things to do in Salt Lake.

On Wednesday we went to Lagoon.  The was a little pre-reunion fun so the cousins could hang out together.  We got there when it opened and left when it closed.  It was a long day, but it was fun.


Thursday we headed up to Anthon's parent's house in Sandy.  We had dinner with everyone and set up tents for the kids to sleep in.  Since we were touring around Salt Lake, we camped out at the parents' house.  But luckily we got to sleep in a bed instead of a tent.

Friday we went to temple square for a family photo, lunch at the Lionhouse and general touring around.




Damon and Liberty.  Born just 2 days apart.

Damon grabbed a bee that was on one of the flowers and Daddy didn't let him play with it.
Saturday we got up at 5:30am and got ready for a 5 mile walk that followed the direction the pioneers travelled when they first arrived in Utah.  It was a leisurely stroll through some Salt Lake neighborhoods and ended at a park that was their first encampment place.  It was a nice walk and Anthon and I tried to imagine how much harder it was for the pioneers who had to pull hand carts and didn't have paved roads to walk on.

After the 5 mile walk we headed to "This Is The Place."  I've never been there before, but it is a really cool place.  There are all these little houses and shops that have either been recreated or relocated from the pioneer time.  The workers are dressed in clothes from that era and they have a lot of fun things to do and see.  I highly recommend a visit to "This Is The Place."



Saturday night they had "Brigham's Ball" at "This Is The Place."  It was a lot of fun because we did some square dancing and waltzing.  I didn't think that Anthon would want to dance, but he totally got into it and we had a lot of fun dancing.


Sunday morning we got up early and went to the conference center to see the live taping of Music and the Spoken Word.  We watch this on tv every Sunday so it was really cool to see it live.  Well, I heard that it was really cool to see it live.  I volunteered to watch the babies (only 8 years old and older can go in the main area) and we watched from a separate room.

It was a long and sleep-deprived weekend, but it was a lot of fun.

5 comments:

Becky said...

What a mean Daddy to not let Damon hold that bee. I can see why he is crying. Nicole once found a wasp and grabbed it. She cried when we took it away too. Or, it is possible that she cried because it stung her thumb and it swelled up huge. No, it was probably because we took it away.

Laura said...

I'm so glad that you were able to do so many wonderful things at your reunion. I haven't ever been to the "This is the Place" place either. You have inspired me to go check it out.

Sarah said...

Fun weekend! Love Damon's distraught without his bee face.

Deanne said...

That looks like so much fun! It's so sad that a lot of fun also comes with a lot of tired.

Roberts Family said...

I think they should have made you wear pioneer apparel while dancing. ;-) Glad you guys had fun.