Monday, October 6, 2008

I Got Coons!

It rained all weekend and we discovered on Saturday that we had a leak in our roof. Our light fixture in our office was full of water and leaking. We also sprung a leak near our bed in our bedroom. Water was just dripping down like mad!

Sunday morning at 6am Anthon woke up to some noises and went upstairs to look in the attic to try to see where the leak was coming from. He shined his flashlight up there and all of a sudden something was looking back at him! It was a...


Raccoon!!! The raccoon saw him and ran out the hole it had made in our roof! Anthon came and woke me up and we went outside to try and find the raccoon. Anthon got up on the roof and found a raccoon-sized hole above our bedroom in our roof. The raccoon had torn through shingles and plywood in order to gain access into our attic. It was still raining so Anthon screwed 2 sheet metal pieces onto the roof as a temporary patch and to hopefully prevent the 'coon from coming back. Anthon also set out some tuna and got his BB gun ready in case we caught a glimpse of it again. Last night, around midnight, I heard some noises coming from upstairs. I went out of my room, thinking it was just the cats playing around. I went upstairs and both the cats were sitting there and then I heard something running above my head, in the attic. I ran down and woke Anthon up and told him the 'coon was back in the attic!

We banged on the ceiling and then ran outside to the back yard. We shined a flashlight on the roof and there it was! Looking right at us! Like this:


It was actually kinda cute. Anthon started pumping his BB gun and then it ran back to the front. We ran around to the front as well and saw that our sheet metal patch had been pried open, some flashing on the house pulled back and some more shingles ripped off...and the hole was accessible once again.

Apparently animal control is only available during normal business hours so we called them out this morning. The guy gave me 2 traps and said, "Call me when you catch it."

Anthon left town for the next 2 days so I'm on my own. When I get home I might have either a raccoon or a cat in the traps.

6 comments:

Candy said...

Wow and yikes! I have lived in Utah for forever and have never seen a raccoon exept on the side of the road dead or in a zoo... and just think, you live around the corner from me and have one in your attic. Hope you catch the little sucker... Good luck!

Sarah said...

Yeah, they're cute from afar, but when you get near them and realize their way bigger than a household cat and rabies infested mongrels made to look like adorable bandits...you'll run. I've had a couple encounters with them eating the kitty food out in Eagle Mountain. They're larger than you think.

AnneMarie said...

I hope you catch a coon and not a kitty! Yuck, so sorry.

Becky said...

Ha Ha! You got racooned! I hope the racoon doesn't get into the house part of the house and eat your cat food Ree. That would just give it incentive to stick around. Let us know when you catch it.

Adrianne Miller said...

Hahahahahahahaa. Take a picture of it if you catch it!

Deanne said...

I really can't wait to hear how this ends! Good luck.