Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Summer Catch-Up: Chipington Reunion 2018

I still have a lot of stuff to catch up on from the summer....

My family had their first ever reunion three years ago. We call it the Chipington family reunion because my parents' last name is Chipman and the rest of us have or have had the last name of Derington. My sister Becky planned the reunion last time and I volunteered to plan it this year. Last time we had it in Moab. I wanted to stay a little closer to home and I found a great, large cabin in Heber so I planned it for there, with our day trip in Park City.

It takes a lot of work to plan a reunion for 45 people. My sister created the perfect model for our family with her reunion and I followed it for mine. Each of us are responsible for one meal and one activity. That way no one person has to do everything.

Since we only have our reunions every three years, we kind of go all-out. I was able to find an amazing, huge cabin in Heber that gave every family their own room. We even had a couple extra rooms, so my aunt and uncle and cousin on the Derington side came too! They live in California and my cousin lives in Pennsylvania so we rarely get to see them.

The reunion started on a Friday back in July. Everyone showed up by 5pm and we all had dinner together. The cabin had a game room with foosball, ping pong, pool table and a little basketball thing. It also had a pool and hot tub outside and a theater room. The kids spent most of their time doing those things. The adults spent most of our time playing the various board games that we all brought. We stayed up really late snacking, playing games, and chatting.

 




The teenagers loved the hot tub.

Saturday was our day to go to Park City. John's assignment was a plan an activity in Park City so he and his wife planned a photo scavenger hunt down Main Street. We broke into teams and hunted for the items on the list.

We were a bit of a spectacle walking around Park City.





Afterwards we all got some ice cream and treats from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.



Other activities over the weekend included swimming


 
 
Soccer obstacle course planned by Mike

Lego car race planned by Jake and Becky






Water balloon fight planned by me




Individually made pillows planned by my mom

Anthon and I also celebrated our 11 year anniversary during the reunion. We commemorated it with this picture:

One thing that was heard over and over, every day, was Kal calling for his cousin "Sophia" at the top of his lungs. These two cuties loved hanging out together.

It was a great reunion full of fun activities and lots of bonding for my family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea for you siblings to get together for a reunion every few years! I want to copy.