Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Damon's Baptism

It is so surreal that this day is already here. My first born got baptized. Damon has always been a spiritual giant. He remembers scripture stories after only hearing them once. He loves to bear his testimony. He loves to read the scriptures. (Especially the children's version.) He reminds us to do Family Home Evening and loves to be the conductor. I am constantly surprised by his spirituality. So naturally he has been very excited to get baptized.

I had high hopes to be the crafty mom who makes a cute invitation and has decorations at the baptism, but unfortunately, that's just not who I am. We were also out of town the week before his baptism and the weekend before that so I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to prepare. I ended up taking pictures of him the day before his baptism and almost didn't even get the pictures printed in time. (Apparently 1 hour photo sometimes means 1 day photo.)

I only had time to take his pictures at 5pm, which I discovered is not a good time to take pictures because the sun is still up high enough to be really sunny, but low enough to cast shadows. So if Damon was in the shadow so that he wasn't squinting from the sun light, then the temple behind him was brightly lit from the sun, but in the picture he was really dark. But if I put him in the sunlight, he was looking right at the sun so he couldn't keep his eyes open. And if the camera was light enough on him, then the temple in the background was just all white so you couldn't really see it. The struggle was real. Especially with 2 other kids running around the temple grounds. However, we were able to get a couple of good pictures so I guess it was a success.


This pose was his idea.


Saturday morning we had all 8 members of our family frantically cleaning the house and preparing food for the 40 people that would be coming over after the baptism. Luckily we were able to get everything done and get to the church on time. There was only one family that didn't make it on-time because my brother Norm thought the baptism was at 11am instead of 10am. But everything else went really well and I think it was a special day for Damon. Anthon Jr. and Avery said the prayers, Danielle gave the talk on baptism, my mom gave the talk on the Holy Ghost, the Grandpas were the witnesses, Hailey played the piano and Grandma Mecham lead the music. It was a very nice program.


 
 
I'm so proud of Damon and the little man that he is. I am excited to continue to watch him grown into a man and know he has great things in store for him.

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

It doesn't seem real that he is that old yet! What a sweet time that is though. And the pictures turned out great. I've been thinking for a long time that we have been doing this all wrong with baby blessings and baptisms though. Instead of the mom hosting and feeding everyone it should be the other way around so we don't have to clean or cook! :)