Anthon got another year older a little over a week ago. His birthday was on a Friday, but I had a Young Women's thing that night, so we celebrated on Saturday instead. I surprised him with dinner at The Roof, which is a really nice restaurant in Salt Lake, and then we went across the street to the Salt Lake Temple and did a session there because neither of us had been there before.
We had a fun night. I love being able to spend time with my husband. We are both so busy all the time, him with work and his church calling, me with kids and my church calling, that we don't get to spend as much time together as we would like to. But we cherish the dates we get to go on and always have a lot of fun together.
One of his gifts we gave him was an airsoft gun. The little kids and I went and picked one out a few weeks ago, and the little boys were barely, barely able to keep that a secret. They were so excited about it and wanted to tell him so bad. Damon apparently tried get Anthon to guess what his present was when I wasn't around. He said to Anthon, "Daddy, I won't tell you what we got you, but you can guess and if you guess right I will say yes." Anthon likes to be surprised so he told Damon that he didn't want to guess, he wanted to be surprised.
The other surprise I was able to give to Anthon for his birthday was a newly refinished kitchen table. Our kitchen table is about 10 years old and was pretty scratched up. It really bothered Anthon and he has been wanting a new table. I don't want to buy a new table until I have a large dinning room big enough for a table that will fit our whole family, so instead I decided I would refinish our current table. I'd never done anything like this before, but I think it turned out well.
This is a picture of the scratches on the table:
My mom came to help. This is after we sanded 2/3rds of it.
First coat of stain and I also touched up the chairs.
This is the finished product after 2 days, 2 coats of stain and 5 coats of polyurethane.
He loved how it turned out and is much happier with our kitchen table now. But now I'm paranoid about it getting scratched again. And it only took 1 day before it had a couple little scratches.
Happy birthday my love!








1 comment:
Nice birthday presents: an act of service (refinishing the table), good food (at the Roof), a toy (airsoft gun) and feeling the Spirit (temple visit). You covered all the bases. Well, almost. : )
Post a Comment