Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Johnny Update

This picture was taken after we finished watching the finale of Big Brother and then, of course, we played 10, 9, 8, 7... and I won!

John, John, John. What are we going to do with you? John's newest adventure is that he has lost feeling in most of his right leg. He is going to go into the hospital for the next 3 days to get an IV of steroids to hopefully counteract this. The doctor still hasn't officially defined this as MS, but the symptoms are very similar.

John is still handling it well. Sometimes his problems come in handy, like when we tell him it's his turn to keep score in 10, 9, 8, 7... he says, "But I can't see!" Or if he messes up when he deals, we blame it on his blindness.

Last night he went into the kitchen looking for some pop that was on the counter, but couldn't see it. It was a little dark in there. If he had two good eyes, there wouldn't have been a problem seeing it, but since he doesn't I said, "You're gonna have to turn on the light." I tried directing him to it, but maybe his illness is affecting his sense of direction too because when I told him look left, he looked right. "You're other left!"

5 comments:

James Moses said...

wow, i still can't believe these doctors have no definitive answers as to what is going on... kudos to john for dealing with all of this so well.

Wendy said...

I'm not sure who John is, but I thought I'd let you know about a man in our ward here who was diagnosed with MS when he was young as well. He had just started grad school and he and his wife had two little kids. They are amazing people. We wish John and his wife the best.

AnneMarie said...

I'm with James. Why do they not know? I'm glad he's dealing with it all so well. I'm sure that's in large part because of Krista and all his awesome sisters and brothers. He is always in our prayers.

Becky said...

Those doctors need a whoopin. That'll learn em. Then maybe they can come up with difinitive answers.

The Kent Family said...

Hi Marie. Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I was sorry to hear about John. I hope things are going well for him and his wife. Sounds like he is a pretty amazing guy. I loved reading your post. You have a great family.