Monday, November 17, 2008

Raccoon Heaven

This morning we called:



The guy came and took the whole raccoon family away. (He could barely lift the cage. They are really heavy but Anthon never had a problem lifting it.)



They will be brought to the animal shelter and gased until they fall asleep and never wake up. I'm really quite sad about it. They didn't know that they were considered "pests" by the state. They were just trying to survive. The mom just wanted to take care of her 5 babies. The babies just wanted to eat, drink and be merry.


Here is my last picture with them:



Here's a video of them eating grapes. They love...errr, loved grapes.





They also loved water. Here's a video of them playing in the water:




I miss my Lil' Coonies!

9 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I love how they "purr" when they're getting water. They're really very cute.

So sorry you had to give up your raccoons. They're better off, though, than being stuck in that small cage.

Sarah said...

Tis for the best. They're in coon heaven now I'm sure...or coon hell, depends on how they lived their lives I spose.

Karla said...

They are SOOO cute, or maybe Were is better. Why didn't animal control release them somewhere in the mountains or something? Seems so sad, but they were so cute! What a fun experience to interact with those feisty little things, but again, SOOOO cute!! I would want to just hold them, but it doesn't look like they would have taken to that too well.

Marie said...

Animal control told me that raccoons are not native to Utah so it is illegal to release them anywhere in Utah.

It was fascinating watching them. The babies loved their mom and you could tell that she loved them and would do anything for them. I touched them a few times, but only when their teeth were not within biting distance.

The babies got pretty used to us and were not afraid of us. The mom was always cautious though.

Becky said...

Goodbye Coonies! We will miss your crazy antics. Lets take a look back at all the good times with the coonies.
-That time they ripped off roof shingles and at through the roof to make a nest.
-That time the babies got all caught in the cages and were feral beasts.
-And finally, that time that they were all six of them in one little cage, eating a lot of Marie's food.

Good times. We will pine for you coonies.

Deanne said...

It's really kind of sad. You took good care of them, and they were a cute little family. And, no, we haven't had family pictures yet. My photographer had surgery. I'll be in touch...

Unknown said...

Oh the sweet little coonies and the good mama coon. I remember them well. Let's see, it's been 48 hole hours now since I saw them.
At least they all went to coon heaven together as a family.
I...think I'm having ... a moment of mourning. What coon we do to save the world from further coon carnage? Coon'nt we all do better? I know I certainly coon!
Mom

Marie said...

Wow, my mom is weird.

Sarah said...

I blame this moment on whoever taught Mom how to comment on the blogs.